



So it's seems the world over is the same when it comes to socialising and meeting up with people from years gone by. On Friday night, my collegue had his ten year reunion for his BA in International Relations from Dhaka University. I bought a new Sawa Kamis for the occasion and embarked on the CNG trip down to the University with no idea of what awaited me. I met Russel on the edge of Dhaka University Campus and we set off to the restaurant where the celebrations were being held.
Young men and women had come from all over Dhaka and the world to catch up with their friends from university. Having previously been to a number of Bangladeshi celebrations I assumed some speeches, dinner and a lot of polite chit chat - I was wrong!
It did start off we groups of people standing around chatting, and I was delighted to meet so many new people. Then the band arrived, the beer came out (yes beer in Bangladesh) and the party really got going. This reunion did not involve only the past students but also their lecturers who were pushed to the front of the stage to partake in the celebrations.
At one point one of the dancers collapsed from either too much beer or too much dancing and had to be dragged off the dance floor!
We stopped all this briefly to have a meal of rice, mutton and chicken before starting off all over again including performances by members of the class.
I managed to sneak away at 10.30 but am told that the celebrations lasted well into the wee hours of the morning.
Here is some evidence of the happenings that evening for your enjoyment.
7 comments:
That sounds like so much fun. You can certainly show them a thing or two about partying Siobhan!! R xxx
It’s really nice to read the description of our party from a third eye/perspective. Emran
what a surprise-----thanks
what a surprise-----thanks
--sazzad
Hi: this is shalwar-kameez or salwar-kameez, not Sawa Kamis.
It's my blog and I will spell it as I like thank you for your comment
hello there, sawa, some say hawa or haua, means female genital organ in Bangla of many areas of Bangladesh.
Post a Comment