Friday, September 28, 2007

My week of travels


Grampa George and Charlotte enjoying my mashed potatoes


Grampa George and Charlotte with a picture of two people whom some of you may recognise...


My favourite place in Vancouver - sitting on the shore of Granville Island with a coffee and a triple berry bran muffin.


Granville Island


Dinner with Andrew and Scott


Grampa George and I just before I got on the plane

Well this entry is a little late, but that was unavoidable as I was unable to connect the internet in my room. With a little persistence and some unknown computer skills I am now connected hoorah! Before I launch into my Sussex blogging days I wanted to dedicate an entry to my momentous week of 2 continents and 4 countries!
The week all begins in The Hague on Monday morning, the 17th, following the fantastic wedding; the majority of the day was spent in Amsterdam before returning to Dublin. Tuesday was spent running around like a headless chicken trying to close the chapter of my brief life in Ireland over the summer months. That evening at 8pm I caught the 'bus and boat' as we like to say in Ireland, which is literary the ferry across the Irish Sea to Wales and then the bus from there to London. The ferry was quite pleasant when I discovered that they had a proper cinema on board where I watched the Bourne Supremacy. London was a manic day of eating and catching up with old friends. Niamh and I had had breakfast in a fantastic bakery style restaurant, then I met Sarah and Fiona for lunch in Covent Garden and finally I met Vic for Japanese food on Oxford Road. It was so wonderful to see everyone and reminisce on times gone by.
Thursday morning I headed to the country of my birth on a 9 and a half hour flight, which turned out to be rather pleasant as I had two seats to myself and the movies were good. I spent the days in Vancouver sleeping, enjoying the McPhee sense of humour from its original source - my grandfather, and eating far too much! I walked around the streets of the city and caught up with my cousins.
Monday and once again I was back on a plane! This time the plane was from 1987! I didn't even know they were still allowed to fly planes from 1987 - they came with the horribly tight seats and the bright green covers. We experienced terrible turbulence - so as you can imagine I was not a happy camper and was very pleased to get back to England.
After two horrific taxi journeys and a train journeys with 5 bags, I made it to Sussex! My room seemed nice and my two flat mates whom I managed to have a semi-conscious conversation with were great. I fell into bed dead with exhaustion.
And there it is my manic week of travels and far two many carbon footprints!!!

No comments: