
Hoorah, we qualified and got tickets for International Students night at the Dome in Brighton, where the mayor spoke!

Sara from Sudan advertising English fish&chips on Brighton Pier

My international girls

Dancing at the Funky Fish with Aliaa and Simran
It's two weeks to the day since I landed here in the University of Sussex with my 5 bags and my insane jet lag! The first few days were spent in what is referred to as induction. We got to know the university and each other. I was amazed and very pleased at the vast range of nationalities that I met. Everyone just seemed excited to be here. My classmates are from a vast range of nationalities as well as academic backgrounds. Closer to home, or rather home while I am here this year, and my flat mates and neighbours could not be more diverse. It's wonderful to be able to use English, Arabic and Bangla all in the same conversation. I have yet to make a French speaking friend, but I am starting classes on Thursday...
Last week then the classes started. Philosophy of Social Science is rather challenging and I am open to any offers of help; particularly in coming up with essay titles and relating them to migration!! I am also attending some migration MA classes which are really interesting.
At the weekend myself and some flat mates decided to try the dancing scene in Brighton and after an adventure involving a very interesting trip to a gay club, we ended up at The Funky Fish which was a lot of fun and had good music. On Saturday I was invited to Penny's house for her birthday - YES IT IS PENNY FROM DHAKA - randomly it turns out she is working in the University.
This week I have tried to put y head down and get really serious about it all. My supervisors are great and very encouraging so lets hope it all goes to plan. Wish me luck as I embark on the hardest thing I think I have ever had to do!!
4 comments:
Sounds like great fun! I wish there were more Bangla-speakers in Oslo. I wish you too much luck in the years to come, I have to say that what I have heard about the British university system sounds like a lot of hard work... But I am sure it will be lots of fun also, what you just wrote tells me that :) I hope to visit you in the "Islop"-area sometime next year!
any swedes in your crew?
Hey siobhan, looks like your settling in very well over in Brighton, hope to meet up with you in the coming months, chat 2 u soon xxgrainne
hi siobhan, just a quick note to tell you i'm enjoying your blog. you inspire me - i'm working on updating mine more regularly. good luck with school! jessica from dhaka
Post a Comment