


So life in Dhaka has been rather difficult lately and some of you may think based on my blog that there is too much pessimism, well this entry aims to alter that. A few days ago 'the girls' decided to have an evening in with Glög or the Swedish version of mulled wine. It seemed to be an exciting propect as the Glög and the Patta Cuppa (ginger biscuits - I know I have misspelled) had both come all the way from Sweden. It seemed to quite a special process, and as I skinned almonds and open bags of rasins my excitment grew. The warmth that filled every inch of my body as I drank yet another cup was wonderful - it is rather cold here at the moment. The drinking involves adding a number of rasins and some almonds to the cup then puring in the warm Glög and then to the drinking and eating of the Patta Cuppas...........
In other news, on Thursday I had a meeting with the governor of the Bangladesh Bank and it was on the 27th floor of the highest building in Bangladesh (top floor being 29). The view was amazing, but unfortunetly this time I had no camera, but will fix that during my next visit.
In even better news (hoping that I don't speak too soon), calm has decsended on the city of Dhaka and blockades have been called off since Monday evening. On Thursday morning both The Daily Star and New Age had headlines that refered to a ray of light and hope! This morning Vic and I read through the paper holding our breath, looking for the 'trouble', but it seems all is quiet 'on the western front' for the time being. Let us hope that the country has finely some to a sense of calm and that we will have "free and fair elections" in January. Professor Yunus is off to Oslo today to receive his Nobel Peace prize as the first Bangladeshi to do so and Bangladesh are doing well in the cricket against Zimbabwe so a good day all round.
Just checked Saturday's issue of Daily Star online and Hasina has once again set an ultimatium to caretaker government of 24 hours; lets hope the ray of light does not die.
3 comments:
Patta Cuppa... hm... not to be confused with patta svett. The actual cookie is called pepparkaka!
Made me laugh anyway :) I was in a pre-Christmas party yesterday where pepperkuker was made, something that should go well with patta cuppa...
oh, memories of pepparkaka in dhaka. i just realized that the correct spelling includes "kaka"--that's funny for people with tendencies to laugh immaturely at things (like me).
the pictures looked beautiful and i love hearing about all the grand funn y'all are having.
happy st. lucia day!
Post a Comment