



I am giving you one last look at my garments research project for 2006. 2007 will bring lots more interviews and visits, and the wealth of the whole expereince will be no less but 2006 is almost at an end. Yesterday morning, I visited a factory by the name of SIDKO. We climbed the concrete stairs passing several factory floors where women were hard at work, to the childcare centre on the 7th floor. When we arrived the children were all asleep and looked so beautiful. As our interviews progressed the children began to awaken and were equally as cute, but perhaps not as angelic. Unfortunatly my camera refused to capture their waking moments as the ran riot around me stroking my hair and trying to get my attention. The simplicity of their lives at that moment brought warmth to my heart as I tried to analyse how their mother's used their meagre income. But the warmth and joy in the small room would have melted the coldest heart.
Last night I had a wondeful insight into a Bangladeshi cooperative scheme, set up 18 years ago and aimed at providing a means of savings for lower income earners. The cooperative has over 2000 garment workers as registered members, but we had only the time to speak with four. From Nasima who in her spare time sews clothes at no charge for her neighbours on her very own machine, to Taslima who as a young widow is trying desperatly to give her daughter the world, and to China and Asma who at 15 were nervous and excited about discussing their lives.
These women are all heroes, and I am in awe of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment