Sunday, November 03, 2019

Social capitalism, an emotional structure and storytelling

On Tuesday of last week, I had a student of mine come to my coffee shop office hours to question me on my belief in capitalism. I hold four hours of office hours a week, two of which I have in one of the coffee shops on UBC campus. I encourage students to come to the coffee shop space to have more informal conversations rather than specific questions on assignments or course content. The student who came to see me on Tuesday is in my 4th year seminar on ‘Geographical Narratives of the Middle East’, but she is a student I taught in her first year at UBC in 2016. In the previous week’s seminar, the focus of our discussion was on migration and I had focused on economic migration within the cities of the Gulf States. As I often think about around my research in the region but also having time living and working there, I question the model of economic growth and how the migration system is structured. My position is that it is not capitalism that is to blame, but rather a hyper-neoliberalism taking place within autocratic systems of governance.
Please excuse me while I get a little ‘nerdy’ here and take you on a short trip to some of the theory I explored in my PhD research. Essentially, I contend (and of course I did not come up with this approach) that what we are living through now is the complete disembowelment of the market from the rest of the body/society. If we think of human existence as being a living breathing system, which of course it is, what has occurred in recent history is a prioritization of market exchange over other aspects of society. I have a deep and unrelenting admiration for a dead man! Karl Polanyi was an economic historian who was born in Hungry but emigrated to Canada around the time of the Second World War. Polanyi argued that we cannot separate the market from society, that exchange is inherent to human interaction and hence must be understood within the context of culture, as all exchange is grounded in culture. Economic decisions cannot be viewed as rational as humans make a living interacting within their social and natural environments; therefore, economics is simply the way in which society meets material needs. Is Polanyi in direct contradiction with Adam Smith’s rational self-interest and competition as leading to economic prosperity. I spent a lot of time trying to formulate arguments that in fact I think the two men would have had a lot to talk about over dinner. Smith had a background in philosophy as well as economics. I remember well reading his works in my first-year economics courses during my undergraduate degree – my thoughts were always yes this makes so much sense that as humans we ultimately want to better ourselves in life and we will strive to do so. Consequently, as human beings we are inherently selfish in our objectives. Am I contradicting my own thoughts in my blog on ‘Approaching education from an empathetic foundation’ and ‘My ego and a community in social activism’? Not at all, I sense I am developing my contemplations further as I continue to work through it in my mind. I ended my blog, ‘My ego and a community in social activism’ by declaring my personal goal to transcend my selfish ego to be part of something bigger than myself – I see this post as following in that vein, but thinking about it in a broader context than simply my own actions. I put forward to you my reader, that there is a distinctive difference between selfishness and ego, and the former does not have to be a negative state if we have the structure in place to support. Pursuing that line of thinking I see Smith and Polanyi as having a conversation that is fitting pieces into a whole. Polanyi, is arguing that we cannot remove the market from the wider society, and Smith grounded in a philosophical argument is claiming that when making economic exchange decisions there needs to be a rational component to the interaction. So to the basics of capitalism: I need to make a living. I have a product I produce or make. I have my skills (intellectual or physical labour). Where the problem arises is where a value is put on my body/labour that is removed from the social framing of the rest of society. If you are really interested in Polanyi he makes a strong argument for the fictitious nature of labour and land, let’s talk more or I can recommend some readings 😀. Did it begin with Chattel Slavery in the 1500s as Africans were taken across the Atlantic with a monetary value placed on their bodies or was it there before? Colonialists, merchants, traders allowed their greed (ego) to overtake their sense of humanity and a pattern developed that has lasted to the present day, where inequality is closely correlated to a person’s physical body.
I sense I am going to lose you if I do not move beyond the ‘academic’ and get to why I think so much on this. The past year has been my own ‘selfish’ journey, and then there are two narratives recently which have resonated with me and essentially led to this blog. What has occurred for me over the past eleven months is the birth of an internal frame of reference, my own foundations on which I then base my actions and interactions to and with others. I personally found this internal reference through a daily practice around yoga and meditation called Inner Engineering. This approach has worked for me, but the journey is different for each of us. For many their religion may have provided a frame of reference for their lives, I know this was certainly true for many of the societies I have lived in. But with organized religion comes fear. You must behave in a certain way otherwise you will go to hell or be punished for your actions. Nothing good can truly grow if it is based on fear alone. In the course of history, we then see the rise of the Nation State in Europe spreading gradually across the world; again, a state of existence based on fear of what ‘others’ will do to ‘us’. With the coming of capitalism in the 17th century, directly linked to colonialism and chattel slavery, we see another form of fear emerging – a fear that I need to have more in order to ‘have’. The problem is there is no sense of what to ‘have’ is. Is it a pot of money in the back room? Is it a big house and a fancy car? Is it being loaded down with diamonds and gold? Once again there is no frame of reference aside from fear that we won’t have.
What we lack is a structure for empathy and connection. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to achieve the very best for ourselves, that is very human, we are selfish beings. What we need to look at is what is motivating us to achieve. That in my mind can only come from a frame of reference internally built. I am motivated in my life now by achieving the best I possibly can, but I will not do this at the expense of others. My internal frame is driven by wanting the positive energy I feel within to surround everything I do, and the only way this can happen is if I allow this positive energy to permeate my daily life. Here you can refer back to the two blogs I mentioned above – I practice empathy and I remind myself that life is not about what I want, but about something bigger than me. My selfishness is about having joy surround me and everything I do.
One of the greatest tools I attribute to this process of permeation is to listen to others’ stories. I mentioned above that there were two narratives which inspired this blog. The first was Greta Thunberg’s visit to Vancouver just over a week ago: the speeches lasted almost two hours outside the Vancouver Art Gallery and yet Greta spoke only for about a third of the time. Instead she used her ‘power’ to give the platform to indigenous and First Nation members to tell their stories on how climate change was impacting on their lives, and how they have knowledge we all need to pay heed to. The second narrative which had an impact on me was the article published in last week’s Economist on Elizabeth Warren. I found myself drawn to her personal narrative which I will admit I had not been very aware of before. Her approach to the economy and bringing more equality across the US is based on her own background of coming from a working-class family, seeing her parents struggle and then using her position as an academic at Harvard to explore what she saw as injustices. Both women are using their positions to do something to try to make a difference to the wider society. They are setting aside their egos to use their voice and platform to draw attention to others. Are they being selfish, I can’t possibly know what motivates them within themselves but I would contend that yes, they are selfish because doing something that requires so much energy without much monetary gain means to me that there is something else driving them aside from ego. To me they want to facilitate the bringing of joy to the world around them.
Back to Karl Polanyi, Adam Smith and me. Society needs to acknowledge that seeing monetary gain as the ultimate achievement is empty and hence impossible. We need to acknowledge that we already have all the tools before us: we have spirituality, we have education, we have storytelling, we have incredible technology. What we each need to do, and this is a very selfish/self-focused journey, is find a frame of reference within ourselves which is not motivated by fear.  We can connect with one another by listening, reassuring and supporting – I offer you my journey and thoughts as evidence that it can be done. I continue to try to find ways that I can incorporate some of this listening, reassuring and supporting into my teaching as well as into my general interactions in the world.
Back to my 4th year seminar: many of the national people of the Gulf Countries feel dislocated and lost, because their societies have become the epitome of hyper-neoliberalism; they have no frame of reference beyond the shopping malls and the shinning skyscrapers. Their societies embody what we will all become (if the environment doesn’t collapse first) if we do not act on listening, reassuring and supporting all in our societies.  
Thank you for humoring this rather long blog post. I would really appreciate any thought you may have whether you share them as comments below or directly with my via my email.  

No comments: