When you are strapped into your airplane
seat 30,000 feet in the sky do you feel a sense of weightlessness and calm, or
are you consumed with dread and a sense of being trapped? For many years I felt
the latter. I would sit through flights just anticipating their end as the
wheels touched down; wishing I did not have to be suspended in the atmosphere,
but not being willing to forgo my love of travel. My heart would race every time
there was a bump, frantically looking out the window assuming the worst. In
recent years I have actively tried to combat the fear considering it irrational
but wearisome especially given how much I fly. I would counsel myself with statistical
evidence that more people die in car crashes, that the flight crew and the
ground engineers were very capable – none of it seemed to dissipate the fear
but in working on it I developed a means of control. There it is that word,
control. As I sat on my recent flight from Salt Lake City to Atlanta, we hit extreme
turbulence to the point that the captain asked all flight crew to take their
seats. I of course was initially hit with a wave of anxiousness about the situation,
but I drew a breath, closed my eyes and reminded myself that there was
absolutely nothing I could do. In doing so I relinquished the compulsion to try
to control a situation that would have been futile anyhow. I returned to my
movie watching, observing my breath and basking in the knowledge that whatever
the outcome I was simply a passenger in the moment. Embracing the loss of
control of a situation brings such beauty to embarking on a plane, I sit back knowing
that for 3, 5 or 10 hours I have nowhere to be and nothing that needs my urgent
attention.
My thought process as I basked in the deep
breathing (of course it is still stale airplane air) was how much of the recent
past has brought me to this moment, to a place in my life where I truly feel
free. Having spent far too much of my life trying to control my situations and
those around me, I was faced with the truth that ultimately the only control I
have is over my own body, my own emotions and my own reactions/behaviour.
I find myself travelling back in time to a moment
I cannot decipher but it is there, a moment where I became consumed with fear.
A dark shadow lurked as feelings of mistrust, displacement and inadequacy began
to coexist alongside the joy, the love and adventure of my inner child. Somewhere
along the way, the humanity of life became equated with control and perfection.
I needed to achieve perfection, and that shadow had manifested itself into a
deep and vocal inner critic determined to undermine the little girl inside of
me. Not being good enough in myself or my body ensured that I sought validation
from others. In the love I received I basked and savored every moment of it as
it made me feel some release from the anxiety of that inner critic. Emotionally
I desperately needed confirmation that I was enough just as I was. I have been
blessed to have so many wonderful incredible people in my life, both family and
friends, and yet I could not bring myself to fully trust that they could silence
the inner critic. I focused on trying to manage the unpredictability of the
relationships with people I loved in my life based on a fear that they might
one day not be there.
Breaking the compulsion to control is an arduous
task of silencing the critic and embracing the little girl who wants to be free
to frolic. There is not a moment where life slapped me in the face, rather it
has been a gradual weighing down of my tree branch with the baggage of painful
attempts to control, to a point where it just snapped. As with any fall it has
been deeply painful; at times my body is consumed with the weight of sadness as
I dig deep pulling back the layers exposing the dark shadow, shedding light on
it, not allowing it to hide any longer.
What I am left with is my humanity and
hence the ability to see all the raw humanity of those around me. I find myself
being respectful of others and in doing so truly loving them for who they are
to me and not what I want or need them to be. It is truly a beautiful sight to
see those you love stripped of all the demands and expectations you place on
them. You see them just as they are and trust that they too know what is best
for themselves as you do for you.
What’s done is done I tell myself often
these days. The present is what sustains me, because in the present I have the
ability to be and do anything I want. There is no sense of wishing I had been
different at times past, that things had happened differently in my life, that
I had uncovered the humanity of my parents at an earlier moment back in time.
What is the use? What’s done is done, and I embrace my present. I am sure you
all want to return to a moment in time where you can replay the mental movie
changing the narrative and the ending, but the past is already written and
there is only right now. Truth is that is the most beautiful thing, that there
is only right now because that is a true acceptance that there is no control
over life but only over our reactions to what occurs to us. And that I do have
control over – how I react to life’s twists and turns is completely within my
control and mine alone.
My blogs of late have been a journey and I thank
you for humoring me as I guide you on my path of embracing self-love. Is it navel
gazing? I say not - in order to truly embrace the unpredictability of life and
people one loves, one has to start from within themselves. A rose garden does
not flourish from a fragile or rotting bud. I share with you all because so
much in my life has gone unsaid and the stifling of voices bred the shadow. You
as one of my blog readers are one of the people who have touched me most in my
life, brought me joy, brought wisdom into my life, brought interesting
narratives, and so I celebrate you all as I celebrate all our imperfect
humanity.
![]() |
| Some artistic alteration of the bike crossing button symbol - made me smile on one of my rides this week |

1 comment:
Agree that trying to control everything is not a good thing to do. But, by focusing on the quality of what we are doing in the present, we definitely influence our future which is better than controlling the present
Post a Comment