I grew up in a
world of stories and music. They were part of the cultures that I know best,
and they are part of the culture that I now find myself learning more about. Seanchaí
(shan-a-key) were traditional Irish storytellers and the custodians of
history for centuries in Ireland. They could recite ancient lore and tales
of wisdom whenever it was needed and we might consider them the Google of
ancient times! In my other childhood home of the Middle East the الحَكَوَاتِي (Hakawaatii) played the same role
preserving the culture, traditions and framing for societal norms through their
storytelling. As I explore the lands of the indigenous First Nations land here
on the edge of the Pacific Ocean I am introduced to their oral traditions and
how stories are how they pass on history and teachings of their ancestors.
For all the cultures
I have lived in or live in storytelling is an integral part of identity, stories
are what keep the culture alive, they are what give a frame of reference for how
to navigate the world. I can picture as a child sitting on the ground in a
Sudanese Housh (garden/yard) listening to the grandmother of our ‘adopted’
Sudanese family. The experience was replicated in the summer months in Ireland
sitting around my granny’s kitchen table listening to all the ‘updates’. In
Ireland it is called it the “gift of the gab”, the ability to converse to share
to connect to create community. Life is about the narrative as Jo always said
to me, and it truly is the essence and beauty of how we relate to one another –
through our respective narratives.
I find myself
being in an incredibly privileged position in my career now to be able to
integrate storytelling into my approach to teaching and learning at UBC. Stories
are the only things we have as humans to make us human. I use
storytelling as a means to empower voices, to give voice to those that are not
represented in mainstream academic journal articles, conventional media and political
structures – to generate connections and empathy between the students I teach
and the wider world. I have adopted a digital geographies approach to my
pedagogy one which uses immersive media and educational technology, but the
essence of the approach is based on my roots in the Seanchaí and the Hakawaatii.
Above all though
my love of the narrative of life is built of the foundations of Jo’s constant
quest for the most interesting story. It is what energized her. Her final academic work
was researching the Sufis in Sudan, a story that had fascinated her for decades.
There are countless stories I could share in acknowledgement of Jo’s birthday
today and in celebrating her life. I choose one that makes me laugh: Jo and I
were in Venice in August 2010, just passing through for a couple of days. It
turned out that on our last night Patti Smith was playing in Piazza San Marco,
and Jo’s excitement could not be contained. All that remained were the ‘cheap’
tickets right at the back but we got them. The concert of course was amazing,
but the best part was Jo’s, along with a few others, uncontainable urge to run
to the front of the stage. The fun and the laughter shared by all of us was
equally as enthralling as the wonderful music. It’s a great story and a great
memory to share.
I am also
sharing below a video that Gemma Lougheed made in 2008 in Abu Dhabi – I love it
because it tells a great story and because it shows the simple fun life can
bring just by living it to its full.
If I may I would
absolutely adore if you could (if you knew Jo) share your favourite story below
in the comments. It would mean a lot to me to read them, and I know that Jo
would love the thought that we are celebrating her birthday by sharing our
favourite moments of narrative. Thank you and thank you for continuing to be
one of my blog readers as it gives me great pleasure to share my stories with
you.
7 comments:
Lovely blog Siobh and great to see Jo dancing. We all know how she loved to dance.
Siobhan Jo loved to get up and dance I remember at Ciaras wedding the two of us never left the floor We both enjoyed it so much I have not danced so much since Thinking of you Kay Jim
Bastille Day,one barrel(Jo's bar!), one balcony/terrace, barrels of wine, brandy flowing, best friends, beautiful sky, booming fireworks, bountiful food, belly aching laughter,brilliant banter....bravo! Breithlá shona duit Jo! xx
Bastille Day,one barrel(Jo's bar!), one balcony/terrace, barrels of wine, brandy flowing, best friends, beautiful sky, booming fireworks, bountiful food, belly aching laughter,brilliant banter....bravo! Breithlá shona duit Jo! xx
Hi Siobhan I am in Rabaul,New Britain, PNG - the edge of the earth feeling. Jo would have loved the trip. Testing connectivity to upload this comment.
My concert memory of Jo will always be 1971 - I was 5 & she was 21. John Joe & I picked her from the train station in Cahir. She had the big stuffed donkey & loads of stuff from the Lonergans. She had had a great summer but was just disappointed that she hadn't made it to the Woodstock 1971 festival. Hugs for today. Nx
I am in San Miguel de Allende Mexico. We celebrated the beginning of the revolution on November 20th( yesterday) and I was out celebrating. Best life memories of Jo - sharing her births In Spanish to birth is Dar la lux literally to give light. Jo never stopped giving birth
Post a Comment