Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The wonder that is Yosemite

After a lovely Christmas chez the Anayahs and a relaxing few days enjoying the beauty of Lake Tahoe, it was time to set off exploring again. I rented a car and set off for a two day adventure in the vast wonderland of Yosemite national park. It was a wonderful feeling to be winding through the Sierra Nevada mountains with the sun beating down, breathtaking views and the iTunes on with me singing at the top of my voice (lucky for all humanity I was alone in a car where no one could hear!). I kept pulling over at every opportunity I got to jump out of the car, inhale the crisp clear mountain air and attempt to capture some of the beauty photograph after photograph.
Upon reaching the park this mouth dropping wonderment continued as I struggled to keep my eyes on the road as I gasped at the enormity of the rocks and beautiful valley views. I made way up to the highest point in the park, Glacier Point, to gaze over the valley, Curry village and the amazing half Dome rock. That night I spent my first night in a US style motel with all the doors to the outside and the greasy spoon restaurant to go with it! I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and efficiently of it all although admittedly it was basic; maybe I need to try a few more motels before becoming a fully fledged convert!
The next day I drive into Yosemite valley and enjoyed a couple of hours wandering through the wooded areas around the village and passing by mirror lake and old Ahahhi hotel. I then set off for my final stop, the siernnasa or the world's largest trees, which were located right a the southern most point of the park. Nothing could have prepared for the almost mythical beauty of the red giants of the Giant Sequoias - biggest trees in the world. I could swear that Tolkien must have drawn some inspiration from them for the tree unks in the Lord of the Ring books. I tore myself away to set off on the 5 hour drive back to Folsom once again taking the wonderful ending road 49 through the mountains. Along with the Grand Canyon, Yosemite is now another one of my moments of reflection as to the absolute enormity and wonderment of mother nature and how we as individuals are almost insignificant amongst it all. Look at these small samples of photographs and tell me you don't agree......


The amazing drive through the mountains to the park


The very cool Half Dome rock, the centre piece of the park


Breathtaking.....


Reflection of the rocks in clear blue waters


The largest trees in the world and me :-)

No comments: