

Welcome back to all of you who have been away for Eid and hello to you have been missing the regular updates to my blog as I lay enjoying the sun and quiet in Thailand. However, before I give you a run down of my fantastic holiday I would like to take a moment to reflect on the current situation here in Bangladesh. Today was the day when the ruling party th BNP handed over power to the caretaker government. There has been much speculation over the past couple of weeks as to what would happen as the opposition party - the Awami League - claimed that the man chosen to lead the party K. Hassan was a BNP puppet. Last night at around 7pm local time, Mr. Hassan claimed that he was too sick to be sworn in today and then today he declined the job altogether. The result has unfortunately been a sudden eruption in violence - the death toll currently stands at 14 and the injured are said to be over 500. I want to take the time here to reassure all of you out there who are family and friends to us working here in Bangladesh, we are safe in the area in which we live and have never felt under any threat so there is no need to worry for our safety. However, I would like you to join in this moment to hope and pray for the future of this country that we are all working in. I am reading The Fine Balance by Rohin Mistry at the moment and the other day I found a quote which I really like; it is when two of the characters are having a conversation about God.
God is a giant quiltmaker. With an infinite variety of designs. And the quilt is grown so big and confusing, the pattern is impossible to see, the squares and diamonds and triangles don't fit well together anymore, it's all become meaningless. So he has abandoned it.
Although I like the comparison of God to a quiltmaker, I don't like to think that 'he' has abandoned 'it'. I think the world is at a stage where there is so much change and confusion happening all at once that people are struggling to keep up. The world is like a quilt that is true, but I like to think that we are the quiltmakers and that we are trying our best to fit the pieces together. This comparison brings me back to Bangladesh; I hope that the people find their 'needles' and find a way to knit together the divide which has appeared. This country is so full of hope and want of a better future that we have to hope that there is a solution.
To get regular updates on the situation follow the news live on BBC world or online at http://www.bbcworld.com/ or on the Bangladeshi English newspaper http://www.thedailystar.net/
No comments:
Post a Comment