On January 4th January Pauline sent a great ‘Thought
for the Day’ by Henry Moore, it read: “I think in terms of the day’s
resolutions, not the years.” This sentiment really resonated with what I felt
as the hour approached midnight on the 31st of December 2019. What I
wrote in my journal that evening was that I wanted to continue to heal and grow
as a person in 2020. I witnessed all the work I had done in 2018 and 2019, and
hence see 2020 not as the start of something new in terms of a resolution, but
rather continue the journey of self-growth. I wish to continue to be conscious
and present in my body in every moment, even if sometimes those moments are
incredibly painful. I said this on the blog on Christmas Day and I felt it
strongly again as the New Year begins. Being on the West Coast of Canada you
become acutely aware of how arbitrary the stroke of midnight is, especially as
you communicate with friends and family across the globe and see them enter
2020 several hours before you do.
I spent the days leading up to the end of
2019 with a wonderful group of friends up on Sasquatch (Yeti in the local indigenous
language) Mountain in the Fraser Valley, just about two hours drive east of Vancouver.
We celebrated New Years from the Middle East, to Eastern Europe, France, Spain,
the UK and Ireland before it finally reached us on Pacific Ocean. To be there
was an incredible reminder of what a glorious part of the world I live in. This
was especially emphasized as we returned to a sunny dry Vancouver on January 1st
and I set off on my bicycle to cycle around the seawall surrounding Stanley
Park. Skiing on the 31st and biking on the 1st, that is
truly an exceptional physical state to have in life. On Saturday I bought
myself second-hand skis embracing my equal love of the winter and summer here
in BC.
My gratitude for what I have in my life is
deep, and I am most grateful for the opportunity to have embarked on my recent
internal journey. I will admit though that I am often deeply saddened at present. I am saddened because I am
a social being that craves community, family and connection. These have shifted
hugely for me in recent times and I feel myself often experiencing a deep sense
of loneliness. It is an odd feeling because it is not a loneliness of feeling
that I am not worthy of companionship and connection, it is a loneliness
founded on full acceptance. It is discovering what I really need from my
relationships, and accepting that some of those people that I hold most dear in
my heart cannot fulfill the transparency I require in life. It is acknowledging
that often being with others for whom life is simply a shallow endeavor brings
me little joy. Life is for living and life is for diving deeply into what makes
us human – there is so much more to life than walking around on two legs and
having fun. There is no emotional heaviness in this for me, indeed it has quite
the opposite effect in accepting that I must let go. I cannot change those I
hold dear in how they want to travel through life, but I can hold myself
accountable and in this is my loneliness. Writing brings me great solace so I
thank you as always for readings these blog entries and humoring my verbal
meanderings.
![]() |
| Beautiful sunset on Sasquatch Mountain |
![]() |
| Fun snowshoeing day |
![]() |
| December 31st was a wet one, but I skied anyways |



1 comment:
Dearest Siobhan
Wishing you a wonderful 2020.
Thank you for your hopeful words. They make me think I can do anything so long as we have health.
Love and hoping we meet again in summer.
Patricia
Post a Comment