Thursday, December 05, 2019

A case for holistic medicine


I had the most amazing video call Wednesday morning with a professor at Amherst College in Massachusetts. I had met her at the ISSOTL (International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning) conference in Atlanta after her presentation on teaching empathy. Term responsibilities meant we have not had a chance to reconnect until this week. I wanted to talk to her in more detail about how she approached teaching empathy. What I learned was incredible! Some of you might have heard that in 2015 Amherst college students staged a protest focusing on the fact that the science and pre-med curriculum did not represent who them are as people and as students of the college. It did not represent the multiple social characteristics they embody including gender, race, sexuality and sociology-economic group. Some of the faculty encouraged the students to join a sit-in where they were asked to share their stories of who they are as people beyond what they were studying, and the faculty members were asked to do the same. The result was the emergence of a series of courses and workshops focusing on the idea of ‘Being Human in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). The courses have been running in some form since 2015 and big Ivy League schools such as Yale and Harvard are following Amherst’s example. The faculty and students at Amherst College have found the storytelling and sharing approach has made them more empathetic towards to each as humans. It is incredible to think of the impact this will have on these young students once they graduate and enter the profession of their choice taking with them the empathetic approaches learned.
 
This conversation with Amherst and being made aware of the striving for change within the STEM disciplines could not have been better timed for me. Earlier this week I had two medical appointments with two female physicians. Both are highly qualified and great at their job. My visits with them both were efficient and to the point. I left the second and burst into tears. It was nothing she said but rather the clinical means of delivering the narrative. In times past, I would have burrowed myself into an emotional hole, but I’ve learned. I called one of my soul sisters cried a bit, and then we got to discussing how medical practitioners really need training in empathetic communication. You can understand why my video call with Amherst was so powerful in its timing. We really are incredible as a species in how we learn and adapt. All be it at a snail’s pace, but there is progress. In the future young women (and men of course) will not be unintentionally made to feel unsafe or shame by medical practitioners. The hope is that people will feel like their emotional reactions matter and that they are people and not just patients. The change in education and a strive of empathy and compassion as core to how we teach I learned about this week, is why I’m involved in the profession and celebrate what we can do to contribute to a better future. I would add that in the social sciences we need to really emphasize empathy and compassion as part of our courses and teaching approaches as I sense that we take it for granted as if they just happen because we are social scientists. But social scientists are just as capable as scientists of ignoring the impact of a person’s individual experience in life and their positionality in the world.   

I actually want to use this post to acknowledge a medical practitioner I know who was and is incredibly empathetic, compassionate and holistic in her work. Ellen Coburn helped my mother bring me into the world, she has been a friend to my family for many years and in recent years she has been my doctor through very difficult times. She took the time with each of her patients, often meaning appointments ran well over the designated 15 minutes, she listened to their concerns with immense compassion, and with her terminal patients she was with them and their family until the end. I know all of this from my own experience but also from translating for Syrian refugees she offered to help, from other patients of hers whom I have met over the years, and from listening to her talk about her work. Ellen is an incredibly spiritual person in her life outside work and she brings this into her practice making patients feel so at ease and cared for. All this and I know how difficult it was for her to challenge some of the patriarchal systems of education when she was beginning her career. My father has told me that Jo was nervous about finding a doctor when she found out she was pregnant with me, but the moment she walked into Ellen’s office she felt at ease. I can relate to that sentiment and Ellen’s empathetic energy with which she filled her medical office with. Ellen retired two months ago and I want to celebrate the incredible contribution I realize she made in my life and many others. Being a medical doctor cannot be easy as illness is when a person is at their weakest/worst, but Ellen did it with ease and respect. 

I restate my sentiment that we are an incredibly adaptable species with so much opportunity, innovation and creativity at our disposal, and so I hope the strategies in education to be more empathy and compassion into the STEM disciplines will be nurtured and allowed to grow beyond the confines of the academy.  

No comments: