Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Sitting in the window - reflections on the passing of time


Time is a concept that is central to my discipline of Geography and of course also other social sciences and natural sciences, but it is a concept that I think as humans we find incredibly difficult to grasp. We set our alarms, we celebrate birthdays, we talk about how long we’ve known each other, we make a monthly/yearly/5-year plan, we use a deluge of language associated with time (we even have a ‘science’ Horology of measuring time), but ultimately time passes and we have absolutely no control over this phenomenon. This fact has shaped us for centuries as some try and instill a legacy that will outlive them. Some have explored controlling time through writing and film and the idea of eternity or time travel. Yet still time outwits us as it keeps on moving.
The ultimate freedom is acknowledging that fearing or trying to control the passage of time is fruitless. There is of course great pleasure in time as we see a goal accomplished that we have persevered with, as we watch children flourish, as we get into bed at night knowing there are eight blissful hours of sleep ahead. The ultimate freedom then is to realize that life happens in a moment and that moment is now – the present, not tomorrow and certainly not holding onto some distant memory of how things were.
As I sit in my favourite UBC coffee-shop window enjoying my coffee and oatmeal post-swim, I am struck by how little seemed to have changed in my immediate surrounding despite the fact I have not sat here for over five weeks. Two specific occurrences strike me as I sit in the sunshine admiring the view – the first is the tragedy unfolding in Malaysia around the teenager Nora and the second is my own recent travels and return to Vancouver. I won’t go into detail of Nora’s story as I am sure many of you will have been following it, but as I swam this morning I cried thinking of her parents and the thoughts and pain they must be going through – What if? If only we had? Why us? I cannot imagine what they are going through, but for me it triggered the concept of time and how so often we focus on what if I had done this or not done that would then result have been different? And unfortunately, that is the bitter truth of life, we just cannot ever answer the ‘what if’ and accepting that is a huge beginning in the healing process of pain.
I mentioned my own recent trip and return to Vancouver just over a week ago as also making me focus on the concept of time. In reflecting more on my journey and emotions on returning, I am overcome with the realization that I was culpable of trying to manipulate time through my physical journey. I want you all to comprehend, especially those of you with whom I spent such an incredible time, that this does not negate my trip rather I am trying to see it as healing that I can now acknowledge some of its purpose which simply could never be possible. In travelling to see so many people and places with whom and where I have spent so much time, I was in a sense both trying to change the past but ultimately I realize let it go, and this second part is healthy and important. If you have been following since I began writing my blog again in February you will know that life has not always been kind over the past eight years since my accident, resulting concussion then followed by facing true grief and various logistical dilemmas. These realities are just that realities of life, and were essentially not the true pain; rather the pain stems from the acute resulting fear it awoke in me. Fear was not born of this time period as it existed in me already, rather my focus on trying to control time and obsession on both ‘what if’, ‘if only’ and grasping at a future I thought I could predict - consumed me. As I sat with wonderful friends and family, and wandered through familiar streets and places last month, I was looking for some kind of validation that I was forgiven and that time would somehow be kind to me again. It is a thought-provoking return to the blog post I wrote in Heathrow airport as I began my physical trip at the start of July and how in that post I focused on travelling not necessarily as only physical, but also as spiritual and emotional – in a conversation with someone a few days ago we talked about the multidimensionality of time in terms of how it lives in memories which are therefore triggered when we find ourselves in familiar places or with people we have not seen in some time. For brief moments in my physical journey in July and for a lot of the past week back in Vancouver, I neglected the most important lesson that life has taught me in recent times, that there is only ‘right now’ and that only I am responsible for how I choose to approach and use right now. Sometimes ‘right now’ is painful and sometimes it is wonderful, but mostly it just is how we choose to be in the world and hope that it is always the best possible version of ourselves. To me this best possible version of ourselves stems from embodying empathy and acknowledging that every single person around us struggles with the same realities of daily moments and the ultimate passing of time.   
Consequently, trying to control or manipulate time is futile. All that we can do with time is be in it, but also absorb lessons from its passing. The greatest tragedy we face as humans is that is spend too much focusing on ‘what if’ and ‘if only’ as well as this notion that ‘tomorrow will be better’. For centuries we have continued to repeat the same mistakes because we do not learn from the passing of time but continue to try to control it. Do not fear the passing of time rather embrace it, but ultimately see it as the process that it is, be open to the lessons that it teaches us and bare its scars not as painful reminders but as gentle souvenirs that you survived and will continue to grow. Jo used to say to me “Siobh don’t carry the weight of the world on your shoulders”, I now think I truly understand what she was trying to say to me and maybe even to herself, that what is done is done but the present is here and full of possibilities. I played Scrooge once in my Tunisian American high school’s production of a Christmas carol, and I am struck in this moment of understanding the shackles that carrying the weight of time’s baggage can have. My dad often says “life is not easy, but it is always worthwhile”, and I agree but would add it is only worthwhile if we learn from the process of the passing of time.              

I was walking on Kits beach in Vancouver on Friday and was struck by the beauty of this plant growing out of a cement brick - to me it embodies both the power of nature and hope for change today not tomorrow
-->

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kayx