Monday, August 05, 2019

Departing Dublin homeward bound


My physical journey is coming to a close as I write this once again at Heathrow airport, now waiting for my return flight home to Vancouver. It has been the most remarkable month where I am finding it difficult to assemble all my thoughts in order to process them into words here on my blog. I have embraced every moment of the past month cherishing all the experiences I have had and shared with others. I return home now eager for the physical space of my home and my routine, but with the knowledge that the effects of the past month will continue to reverberate within me for a long time to come.
But first, what of my week in Dublin…
I would encourage you to return briefly to my posts from May 2013 and January 2008 where I reflect on my relationship with Ireland and with Dublin in particular. Dublin has held so many important life moments for me over the years, Dara and I lived there together as adults, I completed secondary school there, I did my first Masters at Trinity, I rediscovered swimming, I rose in love, and I survived the bicycle accident which has shaped so much since. The energy of the city does and will continue to flow within my eternal energy wherever I go. But my relationship with Dublin has shifted somehow. I sensed the beginnings of the transition this past December, and being in the same physical space this past week was an interesting experienced as I acknowledge the true depth of the process. Dublin will forever be a part of my soul but it is no longer my home. I held on for so many years to the threads of memories of my life there as I struggled through a difficult period, but as those binds loosen so too have the restraints of not being able to be fully in the present.
My trip to Dublin this time was about people, as a lot of the past month has been. The main focus was spending time with my absolutely exquisite niece and her wonderful parents. To witness Dara being such a phenomenal mother makes me heart sing, and the only regret is that Jo isn’t physically here to witness the beauty of it. To share the daily moments that Quinn has with her parents and to be a part of them for a brief moment was truly gratifying. The many friends I have made in Ireland continue to be like an extended family to me, and I am so truly blessed to sit across a table from them all, share a glass of wine, a meal or a coffee and pick up our conversation as if there did exist a physical distance between us. Of course, there is also the comfort of family in Ireland and its familiarity which has been a part of my life for decades. Especially my aunt Kay whose generous heart has brought such comfort in difficult times over the past four and a half years.
The best way to present Dublin this past week is through my favourite moments:
-       Just being with my niece Quinn – cooking her sausages, chatting with her, going to Dublin Zoo with her, being enthralled by her curiosity and aptitude for life.
-       Laughing so freely with Dara and Tarek over ridiculous things
-       Sharing dinner with Dara, Caitriona and Gillian all together in the same space for the first times in years. Hearing them talk about their three little girls and feeling so appreciative that I am a part of all their lives even from a distance.
-       Sitting in KC Peaches on Stephen’s Green with Caitriona and Gillian just smiling because we were there together
-       Sleeping in the same bed I slept in at Christmas time feeling the lightness that the past eight months have continued to nurture
-       Eating black pudding for seven days straight – I had to leave before my arteries became clogged with butter and fat!  
-       Taking Tarek to see Roddy Doyle’s “The Snapper”
-       Enjoying dinner and drinks with Alyson, Jo and Ruanne and chatting for hours
-       Dinner at Kay’s house with family and seeing lots of other family over the course of the week
-       A Saturday night on the town with my birthday twin Frances and witnessing the immenseness of her energy and knowing her present is wonderfully positive
-       Feeling a bounce in my step as I scoured the familiar streets of Dublin City Centre

I am homeward bound dear blog reader. My posts may be fewer in number, at least for the immediate future, but I promise I will continue to write. I will write about life’s wonderful present because the sweetness of today is known while tomorrow is an unknown and outside of my control. 

The customary coffee and Butlers chocolate when departing Dublin

-->

No comments: