I made my first entry on blogger on the 23rd of July 2006 - that is almost exactly 13 years ago, and 198 entries later I am still here and still travelling. There have been long gaps in my entries, particularly over the past four years as I struggled with what life threw at me. I look back at the first entry - an attempt to share with my community in a life where it seems almost impossible to send personal emails to everyone I know - it was an exciting time for me July 2006. I had been living in Dhaka in Bangladesh for almost a year and had met people who would become like family to me as we traversed an exciting yet sometimes difficult experience. My first entry was just a setting up of this blog, and the second was writing from Dublin as I prepared to return for my second year. As I sit in Heathrow airport now at the beginning of an exciting month of traipsing around Europe I return to the excitement I felt in starting this blog and reflect on what my purpose was. I think I realize now what I did not then that my journeys are ultimately one long life journey, and those of you reading over the past nine months will share this sentiment I have expressed in a very raw and personal manner. Physical movement is certainly part of the journey, but ultimately for me it has been about personal growth. In the next four weeks I am excited to spend time with friends and family in Ireland, the UK, Sweden, Norway and Spain before returning home to Vancouver. I am incredibly excited to be with so many people I love in a time when life just seems so alive, so exciting and so precious. I will take you on the physical journey with me (and feature some of the blog's original participants) but
please excuse the metaphysical journey that accompanies the 'real'
movement.

1 comment:
Thanks for sharing. I see travelling somewhat different from the last quote at the end of your blog. Am a traveler, like you, as you well know. There is always a destination, but that destination is not about physical moving, as you say. That destination is about continuous learning and personal transformation and engaging with people that become part of one's community. Your summer travelling is a good indication of how widespread your community is - enjoying their fellowship over the coming weeks.
Post a Comment