Thursday, May 21, 2015

Comfort in words

Jo always found comfort and meaning in words and much of this was through poetry. She inspired me a few years ago when I was going through a difficult time to put my thoughts into words and hence I started forming my thoughts into short poems. I have neglected this over the past 18 months as I have so many other things. In this time of immense sorrow I find some comfort in expressing myself through poetry.

Shaken foundations 
An alternative universe
A nonsensical world
An impossible reality

The Maypole of my existence
The foundation of my world
The all-hearing patient ear

Only numbness remains
Only questions where once there was sense
Only emptiness where once there was dialogue

How can I imagine an existence without your guiding hand?
How can I embark on travels without your advice?
How can I embrace motherhood without your gentleness?

My foundation shaken
My world unraveled
My breath uneasy

Your strength in me
Your advice engrained
Shaken foundations but not fallen
My architect is unequaled


Seeking
I look for you in the morning
I look for you bouncing through the crowd
I look for you in the afternoon
I look for you amongst the pages of your books
I look for you in the evening 
I look for you in your favourite spaces
I cannot find you, you are no longer there
I see you in the faces of others 
I hear your words in the narratives 
I hold you in my memories
I feel you whispering in my soul

I will have you with me everyday on all life's travels

2 comments:

HC said...

I can feel your pain through your poems. Thinking of you.

anna said...

Beautiful and painful. Lots of love. I feel with you.