Jo has prepared
me for everything in my life but this is one moment that she could never
prepare me for. When I think of my mum Jo I think not only of her as my mother
but rather as the many different roles she has played in my life over the
years, and I will use these roles to try and paint a picture of the larger than
life figure she was to me. None of these roles are exclusive from the others
but rather are intertwined in the complexity of who she was and is to me.
Mother: Children
are a gift which Jo treasured always and seeing her run around playing with any
child she met, reading with them and most of all engaging with them has always
reminded me of how rich my childhood was. Dara and I were privileged to have
always treated like equals from the moment we were born. Many a night in Sudan
were we submerged in the company of adults and children alike. I remember
picking up Shakespeare’s complete works when I was 8 and telling Jo I was going
to read the two gentlemen of Verona – rather than tell me I would not be able
she guided me through it despite the fact I understood little of it at the
time. She knew me better than I know myself always offering me the best advice
but never dictating what I should do – always ensuring that I came to the
answer or the solution myself. Jo was mother to anyone who entered her home or
crossed her path and Dara and I have always shared her with so many others. Jo
and I recently had a conversation about Dara and I having children and she
promised she would be there to guide us on that journey of motherhood.
Travel partner:
Jo has always been a wanderer, whether it be across countless countries or
simply around the streets of Dublin. Dara and I have been her companions on
many of these journeys and what a privileged upbringing it was. In recent years
I have had the great privilege to be Jo’s travel partner to India, Sudan,
Syria, Turkey and across parts of Europe. As we travelled by train, plane, bus,
car and foot I wondered at the intensity of the woman who was my companion but
also my mum and absorbed so much from watching her engage with every context
and person she met. As we walked around the old market in Aleppo or travelled
the backwaters of India we chatted about this and that philosophizing about
life, people and trying to understand the complexity of the world we live in.
Never was there a boring moment with Jo and never did we run out of things to
say.
Teacher: Jo put
us in Arabic school but everyday when we got home she would then proceed to
teach us all our subjects through English. At the time I could not fathom why
these hours of study were necessary but when I think of her now working a full
time job then coming home to teach us I wonder at her dedication and energy.
She has continued to be my teacher over the years guiding me through my degree,
my masters and finally my PhD. It has been wonderful to return just a small
amount of this over the past year when she asked me to read parts of her MPhil
on Sufism. Together we taught Arabic in Dublin and together we wrote a paper
which was published just a few months ago. We had plans for many more. At least
once a week we would send each other an interesting article which we would then
discuss on skype when we spoke always challenging each other.
Friend: Jo was my
best friend my foundation my spiritual guide my confidant. To have had her in
my life for 36 years has been the greatest privilege I will ever know and it
will take me the rest of my life to recover from the void she leaves me with
now. There will be many silences now where once there was banter and
philosophy. But because she has been mother, travel companion, teacher and
friend to me I take comfort in the fact that even though she could never
prepare me for this moment she has taught me to be the best person I can
possibly be. In recent months as I have faced challenges she has said to me
focus on the details and then the big picture will work itself out – I heed
these wise words now as I cannot comprehend a world without Jo in it.
I shall end by
saying that everything about the past two weeks in an terribly ironic sense has
Jo O’Brien written all over it. Jo’s biggest fear was that her body would give
up before her mind and that she would be unable to do the 100s of things she
wanted to do – it was her mind that in fact was in the end her greatest gift
but her final weakness. Jo always found plumping challenging and once asked me
to make sure I married a plumber – it seemed whatever house she lived in a leak
would eventually appear. So with Jo’s ironic wit I like to think that once
again there was a leak she just couldn’t fix – she would see the dark humour in
this. Dara and I take great comfort in the fact that she was here in Ireland
and with Marie when this terrible leak occurred. She always loved Ireland in
the springtime.
I have not seen
my mum since August of last year when she came to visit Pete and I in our new
home in Vancouver. Dara saw her last in Beirut in February. I like to think
that my mum appreciated the formidable lives she had created in Dara and I and
how wise we have been in our choices of partners and careers. She said to Kitty
Hogan a friend in Abu Dhabi last year that she could not have better chosen
Tarek and Pete if she had selected them herself. Jo’s thirst for adventure is
never failing and so I think of her now as having jumped on a train to set off
on another adventure in the manner she left me in Vancouver in August of last
year. The sadness I feel is not for the extraordinary life that my mum, travel
companion, teacher and friend has now lost, but for the void that all left
behind must bear.
Last week
Geraldine a good friend of my mum said to me: “Josephine and I were going to
change the world”. As I reflect on the magnificence that was/is my dearest Jo I
say to Geraldine and all of you here and around the world that SHE DID.
2 comments:
I guess if we knew someone was leaving we'd sit and watch them and try to stop them from going at all costs. Jo lived her life to the max and we'll keep her with us always. A beautiful blog Siobh be proud as Jo is always proud of you.
I'm so sorry Jo has gone. She has set an example for all of us who knew her, and made us braver and more critical people. A lovely, lovely person, whom I will also miss, even though I haven't seen her in a long time. Love to you and Dara, I wish I could give you a hug.
Post a Comment