When you live your life 'flying' from one corner of the earth to another on a constant basis you begin to lose sight of what is truly real and important. Many definite my life thus far as exotic, and maybe it is. But this has also meant that there has been little chance to always value the most basic things in life.
It has been a tough four months for me for various reasons that I won't bore you with, but it has also been a time to really reflect on what is really important to me. I have realised that above all my family, with all their peculiarities and quirks, are the most valuable thing in my life. It may involve hard work, and frustration at times, but my keeping them in life makes me happy.
I am beginning to appreciate the extraordinary in the ordinary. Jetting off for weekends, having fabulous places to visit and searching for the exotic. But the exotic can be right there in front of me all the time. Jumping on my bike on a Sunday morning and heading up to Enniskerry, and holding the six week old baby of one of my closest friends - these make me smile. It is not that jumping on a plane is not truly exciting (aside of the fear :-)) it is just that I have begun to learn that there is excitement in the everyday as well. I may not want to live in Ireland for the rest of my life, but it is my home for the present and is a place which has always been close to my heart.
I want to end with a fairytale. One of the people that I am closest to in the world got married last Thursday, and I had the honour of being a part of the wedding. It is was during the speeches that I realised that I was witness to true fairytale love. I thank Caitriona and Tim for that.
There are no ordinary moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment