Friday, July 18, 2008

Shazia's wedding


The happy couple


The bride's 'new' family


Katrin and I


The bride, groom and I

Last Friday, my good friend Shazia got married to Fuwad in Leytonstone, London in a lovely hall called the Ivory Mansion. Shazia and I met in 2001 in Cambridge High School in Abu Dhabi. The school was not the best, and we had a lot of fun 'playing' with the administration! But the best part was the friendships formed and maintained half way across the world. It was a privilege to be there on her special day, and to wear my favourite Sawa Khamis all the way from the desh.
Katrin came with me so she could experience a true Asian wedding. We arrived on time at 6, but of course all of the other guests were late! The bride was surprisingly punctual arriving at 7.45. She looked amazing and was glowing in all her red and sparkling jewels. We ate a delicious meal, and then the photographic frenzy began. I did manage to speak to Shaz for a few minutes as well! The music in the background reminded me of the tunes we played as we drove Billy (Shaz's car) around the streets of Abu Dhabi and Dubai back in the day.
It was a lovely evening, and I was so happy to be there to share their special day. I look forward to meeting Fuwad properly in Dubai and catching up.

1 comment:

linda said...

please send my regards!!!

see, one should always have a kamiz, useful everywhere :-)