Saturday, March 08, 2008

Land of the tall...


HC and I on the bus


HC enjoying a Swedish Fika (snack) called Snalle (I think), it was sooo yummy...


Drinks chez Anna


Spot the tourists - HC, Anna and Pia


Me, Anna and a Swedish brandy


Kristina in her office

Last weekend I once again found myself in Stockholm, the only place where people look at me when I say I am tall and laugh - I am just average there!
The weekend was spent in the wonderful company of two of my Dhaka girls, Anna and Hanne Cecilie. Anna met me off the bus on Friday and our first stop was of course food. The wonderful sights and sounds of the city were postponed for a choice of relaxation and catching up chez Anna. HC arrived latter that evening, and we were the lucky consumers of an Anna dinner - oh how I miss her cooking...
Tired and happy we climbed into our various places for the night. The following day involved lots of window shopping, eating and chatting. Despite the rain, we walked along the sea front, and I once again marveled at the beauty of the city. After ANOTHER fabulous Anna dinner, we put on our dancing shoes and danced the night away with Josefin, Sara and Ingvild.
We woke up to a sheet of snow over the city, which unfortunately didn't last very long but it was very pretty while it did. The high point of the day was meeting up with Pia in the Blue Door. It was lovely to see her and catch up on all her news since leaving Cambodia. We then went for a drink to warm the coldness of the day, and I had a Swedish brandy!
To top off the eating and drinking of the day we ended it with a wonderful tea party at Jeanette's and Anna's place; where we enjoyed scones with cream and lots of other goodies and of course really good Swedish tea. Full and content, the three of us made our way back to Anna's where we chilled and attempted to take a picture of the three of us 10 times! Each one got worse than the last.
HC left at 5 the next morning - she had a meeting in Oslo at 9.30!! Anna and I had a leisurely breakfast and then set off to catch up with Kristina who had been in Malmo for the weekend. We visited her in her government office, and saw her hard at work preventing HIV in Sweden and educating the masses (she still apologises for her Dhaka student's lack of proper sex education lessons...). We went for Indian food in a restaurant which of course was run by Bangladeshis!
And then it was time for me to head off to the airport. The weekend had gone so quickly and I had had TOO TOO much fun. It was wonderful to catch up with Anna and HC and hang out. Anna thank you so much for your generosity, you are the best and I miss you lots. Here is to lots of other reunions in Europe; that is a message to all you globe trotters - MOVE TO EUROPE...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snalle snelle smella semla - it is good anyway ;) An you will soon see ALL our attempts at making a group photo on my blog!

linda said...

i miss you and the land of the tall but come on - you should move back to asia!!!! that's the way forward and you know it!!! puss