Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The 29th year


And the winner of this years photographic competition goes to Linnet capturing this truly wonderful moment when we jumped just like Fran wanted us to...


The beautiful South Downs with the sheep


Cutting a cake me thinks


Lama from Bolivia


Friends anew and from the past

I always feel very special every year on my birthday about how many wonderful people I have around me, and this year was no exception. Here I am in the first year of my PhD and my friends still find time to pull themselves away from their books to help me celebrate.
The day started wonderfully with breakfast with my house mates Katrin and Emily. They had flowers, cake, presents and cards! On my arrival in college I was created with a fantastic carrot cake, the likes you have never tasted compliments of German baker extraordinare Fran. My 9 o'clock lecture began with cookies from Linnet which were too divine for words. We shared the carrot cake at lunch and all spent the afternoon high on its perfection! Dinner was had in a vegetarian pub in Brighton where the food was wonderful, the drink plentiful and the company amazing.
Thank you all to my Brighton crew for making the day very very special. Also nice to mention that Penny made it back from Bolivia this morning to make the dinner. Penny was with me in Dhaka 2 years ago so it was nice to have her here again.
I cannot of course forget the very special people from all over the world who sent me messages on facebook and by phone to wish me a happy birthday. I am touched that you remembered me in your thoughts. My mum phoned my from Abu Dhabi, my sister from Barcelona, my dad from Sudan and I also got a lovely phone call from Dhaka - thanks Tawila you are the best.
Anyway, thats all for this year. I looked back on the entries of last year of the cocktail party and Dhaka and felt a little lump in my throat, but time moves on and I am happy and will only look forward. I give you some pictures from our hike this weekend in the South Downs and from today. Good night all and thank you.

1 comment:

linda said...

yes, your birthday party last year was THE best! please come back to dhaka and throw a party! we need you!!!