As I logged onto blogger this evening I realised that this is my 100th post on my blog and couldn't think of a better one than this one. I will write a longer post on reflections of the desh, but just wanted to share the journey home with you all.
Wednesday night was an emotional occasion as Anna and I had dinner with some of our closest friends and then came the goodbyes. It's hard to fully comprehend as I hugged the people who have meant so much to me during my time in Dhaka, and think that tomorrow they just won't be there anymore. But as I always say it is not goodbye but see you soon. The friendships I have made in Bangladesh are too important and too real to forget.
Linda and I went back to her flat and convinced the guard to carry my VERY heavy bag down four flights of stairs to put in the car. I was so nervous about the weight of my bags, but after repacking four times there was nothing else to be left behind! I managed to get about 3 hours sleep and couldn't believe it when my alarm went off at 5.25am.
The last drive to Zia was surreal and a little unreal, I kept thinking that it was just like any other time when myself, Anna and Linda were heading off on a holiday but this really was it! As I hugged Tawila as hard as I could at the airport I felt a rush of so many emotions - sadness at leaving one of my closest friends but excitement of the prospect of all of us seeing each other in another corner of the world. I found it so hard as she hopped in the car and drove off in the slampa mobile for the final time.
Anna and I queued for 30 minutes - last day in the desh and I finally have to stand in a queue! So what you have all been dying to hear - the bags!! We scouted the check in desks and choose the last one with a smiling Bangladeshi man. I went first and dragged my bag onto the scales - and there it was 36.8kgs and the frightening words, "I'm sorry madam but your bag is overweight!" My hands began to shake and thoughts of what to take out began to fill my head. But then the very lovely man said put it into two bags both under 32 and you can check them in separately. Anna went next and although her ticket allowed her two bags there was no record of this on the system so there was panic, but once again the man said not to worry just to make them both under 32kg. We proceeded to do the transfer of the items, and then all was well. At the counter next to us people were told to pay, but we had a little desh angel looking down on us!
The flight was rather rough with severe turbulence, but thankfully Anna and her hand was there to help. Off the plane in London and we thought we had plenty of time maybe even for a coffee, but neither of us anticipated the security... Almost two hours it took to get from terminal four to the connection centre in terminal one; by then all there was time for was a rapid goodbye and then I had to run for my plane. I made it and the short flight to Dublin passed by in a flash.
My mother was waiting at the airport with the black and silver beetle to sail me home to 2 St. Ignatius Road. Cheese galore, fresh salad, avocados, hummus and Irish tea and Dhaka seemed a million miles away. So here I am watching RTE one with my mum on the couch opposite me; Dhaka is seshed, but will stay in my heart for ever...
4 comments:
i still can't believe my fav shoe has left the desh...too much missing. i cried like a baby the whole way back to banani...and for like an hour when i came home :-(
see you soon, inshallah!
puss och kram!
oh dear, you are too cute. Too much feelings of missing people available. When do we have to stop using banglish? I guess never! xx
it makes me too much sad available to think of you leaving the desh. i hope you are enjoying ireland and the journey to france!!!
Tag, you're it. Read my blog entry on Memeaphilia.
Sorry I missed you.
Post a Comment