On our way back we stopped at a shadow puppet shop - they are wonderful pieces of art and so articulately done. The afternoon involved a tour of the Angkor design facility where local people learn the ancient trades of carving and painting. Six months of the year the fishermen of the area live on the river - literally. They have their houses, schools, restaurants, town hall and even a pool hall all floating on the water. At 7 that evening I had one of the most wonderful experiences of my life - a massage by a blind man. An organisation started this enterprise a few years ago and it has spread all over Cambodia; it is a way of training blind people to give massages and therefore empowering them to make their own living. We ended the day with a wonderful meal at a Khmer restaurant with a bottle of wine.
Wednesday was a long bus journey back to Phnom Penh, an afternoon in the coffee shops and a wonderful evening chez Pia. Tomorrow was going to be a very difficult day - I will write about Thursday as soon as I have gathered enough thoughts to put into words what I felt at I visited the recent past left behind by the Khmer Rouge.

Banteay Srei - the final temple
.jpg)
A boy sitting amidst history with not a care in the world
.jpg)
Me in the arches of the temple
.jpg)
Life on the river
.jpg)
A pretty little house floating on the water
.jpg)
A very cute resident of the floating village
5 comments:
The boy in the tray is to much cuuuuuute!
Ah, I want to go on holiday again!
the tray that the boy is in is too much cute too.
Oh! Finally I've read your reports from Bkk and Cambodia. How I wish I'd been there with you!
and i wish i was in a tray floating around
Post a Comment