Saturday, May 26, 2007

Horrors in our lifetime


I have thought long and hard about this entry, and I guess in a sense I have avoided writing it for quite a few days; however, I feel that I need to at least acknowledge the fact that I saw and experienced what I did.
Our last day in Cambodia was spent visiting the recent history of the country and its unbelievable horrors – the Khmer Rouge. This involved a visit to the Tuol Sleng museum and The Killing Fields. I can only speak for myself and not for my travelling companion, but I have still not been able to process all I saw, and the mixture of feelings of horror, sadness, and most of all disillusionment. I will give you a few phrases which I wrote to myself that night in my journal to give a small insight into what was running through my mind.
“Words can never express some of the emotions which I have felt today. The cruelty of the species which I call my own is beyond comprehension.”
“The most frightening thought which taunted me the entire time that we were there, was that even as I stood there and tried to process the cruelty, the same is happening today all around the world.”
There is a strange sense of peace at The Killing Fields, which one hopes those people who suffered so much, have finally found. I have heard debates as to whether places like Tuol Sleng and The Killing Fields should be open to the general public; my comment there would be most definitely YES. We need some way of seeing the ‘results’ of the hatred, greed and power which drives so many people to carry out actions which are beyond comprehension. So I would urge you to visit these places of the past as they exist all over the world, and maybe one day there will come a time when they really will become just memories, but which should never be forgotten.

No comments: