Monday, March 19, 2007

Being realistic and reality


About three weeks ago I went to work to find that upon the expansion of the RMMRU office, I had somehow got a 'promotion'. Myself and my collegue Mohidul were to have our own office. I have to say for a brief period the illusion of importance went to my head and I felt like I had finally 'arrived'. But like I said it is all an illusion. I will include a picture of my new office which I like a lot not because it makes me feel important any longer but because it is quieter than the previous one and I actually enjoy working there. However, I want this entry to be more than just that, I want it to be a reflection of what I expereinced just a few days later. I received an email from my mother in Ireland with a link to a project that has been started by the doctor that delivered me 28 years ago in Vancouver. Ellen Coburn has taken the time from her profession as a family docotor in Canada to start 'The Mayan Health and Education Project' in Guatemala. Initiated in 2001, the project supports medical aid trips to Guatemala and the operation of a junior high school in Huixoc, a Mayan village in the mountain highlands near the Mexican border. I read with great admiration of the work which is being done there, and in doing so took a moment to reflect on what is really important. It is people like Ellen Cobrun that inspire others, me included, to remind ourselves about what is really important in life.
Read about the project yourselves http://www.mayanproject.org/

'Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.' Albert Einstein

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

siobhan,

unable to reach you by phone but your blog site keeps me well informed about your adventures and pre-occupations.

dad

Anonymous said...

i see you are walking around without your orna.....
SHAMOSHA!!!!

GL said...

Siobhan,

Are you planning an occupation?

GL

GL said...

Wait, I have just remembered that Ellen Coburn met and helped me out when I was down and out in Vancouver. I was on my last legs, a shadow of my former self, and she brought me to an all you can eat BBQ. Rock on.