It’s been almost seven weeks now since I
touched another living human being. It is a peculiar feeling. Some of you may
laugh as you know I spent years convincing myself that physical affection was a
sign of weakness, so I ran from hugs and shield away from affectionate touch.
Somewhere along the way in the recent past I realized this view was a wall I
had built around myself out of a fear of vulnerability and getting hurt. I
embraced embracing others and shifted from being an avoider to a hugger.
Avoiding physical connection with others is most certainly a learned behaviour,
and unlearning has been equally a journey of engaging in physical contact and
then reflecting on the experiences. In this time of a global pandemic that has
required so many of us to remain in our homes I find myself in an interesting
circumstance of contemplating the meaning of physical connection and physical
proximity to others.
The head physician in British Columbia, Dr.
Bonnie Henry, whom I have a serious crush on, has shifted the language in her
daily public updates to using the term physical distancing rather than social
distancing. This shift in how our current state of being is described is a welcome
turn of phrase for a being like me who thrives on social connection with
people. I am an extrovert, and have learned to embrace this about myself and
make no apologies for it. I appreciate and accept the differences in how others
make connections, and that not everyone thrives on being the centre of the
party as much as I do! I have only recently learned to be physically
affectionate, but I have always been socially fueled energetically. Indeed, it
has saddened me as I have gotten older and watched people retreat into routines
of societal expectations around work and familial expectations. A world where
we determine our social connectedness on societal norms and expectations is a staged
existence.
I am reminded of the passage from Shakespeare’s
‘As You Like it’, “All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely
players; They have their exits and their entrances”. The passage goes on to
outline the seven stages of a man’s life, each stage determined by the role the
man must play. Philosophers have been fascinated for millennia on understanding
the various stages of a person’s life; from the time of Aristotle there has
been a need to give people roles in life in order to understand their purpose. Shakespeare
was building on this notion that all human beings are players, who play their
assigned roles in every day. Shakespeare did not write ‘As You Like It’ during the
Plague which gripped Europe during his lifetime (although he did write King
Lear during this time), but it did frame a lot of his thinking, as Covid-19 is
and will frame much of our thinking for decades to come. Since the 18th
century and the Industrial Revolution in Europe humankind have created a convenient
way of determining roles, a framework based on economic worth or in other words
based on the job you have and how much money you earn. I am not sure whether to
think of it as a curse or simply a necessity, but as humans we struggle to function
without a perceived solid frame of reference. We understand ourselves by what
we are not, rather than what we are. We gravitate to people who have similar beliefs
and perspectives to us, even if we find we do not like them as individuals at
least we agree on ‘who we are’.
What has all of this got to do with social
versus physical distancing? Well, in our ‘normal’ existence of playing out our
roles determined for us by societal expectations, we also have a tendency to
take things for granted. Things just are how they are, and there is nothing we
can do to change it, until they are not.
Who do I miss the most in this moment of physical distancing and solitudinal
habitation? I miss the lady I go to for eyebrow threading, my pedicurist, the
man who makes my coffee, the cleaners in my department. Do I miss the
functional role they play in my life? Of course I do, but is far deeper than
that. I can carry out all the tasks they provide me with in some form or
another, but I cannot replace them as people and the richness they bring into
my life. They offer me a perspective on existence beyond my own frame of
reference. Their lives existent in the same time-frame as mine, but play out in very
different social and economic paradigms. I cannot reach out for a Zoom call
with any one of these individuals, but the richness they bring into my daily
life is a void I feel very intensely during this time. I am more connected to
family and friends across the world than I have been in years. Almost thirteen
years after leaving Bangladesh, my friends and I, whom I met there, had a
nine-way Zoom call a few weeks ago. I attended the birthday of a Vancouver
friend on Zoom a week ago, where some of her childhood friends from all over North
America were able to join in the fun, a situation that would not have occurred during
‘normal times’. It is wonderful to be able to reach out to these friends and
family and feel so connected during a time when we are all experiencing the
very same situation to varying degrees. But I find myself craving more time
away from these interactions, not because I do not want them but because they
are a certainty and feel safe. I crave the interactions I have filled with
uncertainty, filled with discourse of lives I do not relate to or know. I long
for the moments where someone speaks to you in the grocery store queue or stops
you to ask for directions, the acquaintances who I acknowledge play a profound
role in my existence because they make me more human. In past years of grief at
the death of my formidable mother, and as my existence turned inward to try to
fix a romantic relationship so broken I could not even find the pieces, I
neglected the role of these acquaintances and random interactions and connections
in my daily life. Indeed, to take a moment here to celebrate the person that
Josephine O’Brien was, she saw a beautiful and significant narrative in the
life of every individual who crossed her path. It is a trait that I feel so
deeply blessed to have inherited from her.
When we emerge from this period of ‘pause’
what will we have gained in our lives? I dream of a world where we see the
value of people not for the economic role they perform, but simply for the
beauty of their narrative. I dream of an existence where we pause and listen to
a person’s story, and where we are not looking at the colour of their skin,
wondering what their job is, their hobbies, their religion. I am a dreamer I know,
but I refuse to have my dreams determined for me by societal norms, they are
all I have which are truly my own. Realistically though I dream of the days
when I can reconnect with my acquaintances, learn how they survived this ‘pause’,
listen to their experiences. I dream of smiling of the person on the footpath
as we walk by each other, not afraid of ensuring we are six feet apart, wishing
them a pleasant day. I dream of the banter I will have in my favourite coffee
shop. I dream of laughing with a stranger I find myself in the same space with,
sharing an experience. I dream of the randomness of daily interactions. I dream
of the freedom to socially connect with whomever I wish.
1 comment:
I am dreaming with you! Thank you
Post a Comment