 |
| On top of the weapons tower of AlHambra overlooking the city of Granada |
I think I outdid myself this year when I choose Granada as the location to spend my birthday because in doing so I spent the day surrounded by so much history and culture it was overwhelming. Washington Irving describes his arrival to AlHambra as:
"To the traveller imbued with a feeling for the historical and poetical, the AlHambra of Granada is as much an object of veneration as is the Kaaba or sacred house of Mecca to all true Moslem pilgrims. How many legends and traditions, true and fabulous, how many songs and romances, Spanish and Arabian, of love and war and chivalry are associated with this romantic pile!" and even 250 years later these words ring true. As I look back through the nearly 150 photographs I took in one day I am easily transported back to the streets of Granada and the afternoon spent wandering within the walls of AlHambra.
 |
| Inside the old Moorish Palace |
 |
| The famous courtyards of the Lions |
East meets West all around in the beautiful calligraphy of the Islamic arches and the towering bell tower of the Santa Maria Church. Time seemed to stand still as I gazed on the architectural kaleidoscope of cultures and different eras of history. But within the walls of AlHambra and the courtyards of the old palaces there was much more that old buildings to feast my eyes on. The spaces seemed alive with all the residents that had spent time there: Moors and Christians alike had passed through the beautiful courtyards and moved on but the memory of their lives seemed to live on in the quite cool.
I was lucky as despite the fact that AlHambra is one of the most visited sights in the world in the cool end of winter air of February the numbers were far less than I expected.
 |
| Arches are such a wonderful way to frame a landscape |
 |
| The picturesque old building of the city of Granada |
What struck me me most about AlHambra and Granada in general and which stayed with me as I made my way over to Cordoba was the 'Arab' influence on the Andalusian culture. The mesquita in Cordoba is a must for any architectural or historical tourist as the combination of Islamic and Christian influences are a feast for the senses.
 |
| The incredible arches of the Mesquita in Cordoba |
 |
These partly visualizes what I was witnessing all around me in terms of the merging of cultures
|

A short 10 minutes meander from the mesquita or cathedral as it is formally known, is one of two remaining historical synagogues in Spain. One is left to wonder at how these buildings stand side by side having witnessed so much human sacrifice in their name could tell us if it were all worth it. Especially now as the remnants of all the cultures and forces that lived and died in Andalusia in days gone by, are the foundations on which the rich culture of this region of Spain is built. Having grown up surrounded by Arab and Islamic influences as I wandered the narrow streets of Granada and Cordoba I was continuously struck with a incredible sense of familiarity, the location was different but the traditions were there although much subtler as they were diluted by the Christian Spanish influences. It was a continuous sense of wonder but also incredible sadness as I stood admiring the legacy of so many peoples who killed in honour of this land, a land that now is rich with all their stories, blood, food, music and culture.
 |
| One should feel relaxed just looking at this scene! |
 |
| Beautiful old buildings of Cordoba |
No comments:
Post a Comment