Saturday, June 04, 2011

Arrival in Beijing and trip to Xi'an

A brief 36 hour stop in Beijing involved reunions with old friends as well as meeting the groom for the first time. Charlene and Tony took us all out to an amazing vegetarian dinner Chinese style - it involved a tofu fish that actually looked like a fish! Our second day in Beijing involved a trip to the Forbidden city, and I have to say even third time around the place is amazing. I certainly am glad that I never had to live there but the beauty of the buildings, the dragon mosaics and the rock garden never cease to amaze.


A view over the Forbidden City


Posing in the Forbidden City

We headed to West Beijing train station to catch the overnight train to Xi'an. HC, Anna and I ended up sharing our carriage with the opera section of the Chinese army! Yes they have an opera division in the army :-) We were actually sharing our 4 bed cabin with Fu (the rest of his name was far too complicated) who spoke a little bit of English and was eager to chat to us. He also managed to serenade HC in both italian and Chinese.


Fu and HC on the train to Xi'an

Our hostel in Xi'an met us at the train station and its location in the old city near the Muslim quarter was convenient and the hostel was a lovely little haven. We wandering the streets of the Muslim quarter enjoying the street food and all the life and colours. I also amanged to find my father's favourite dumpling restaurant, which was as good as it had been back in the summer of 2000! We also managed to squeeze in a very bizarre Chinese massage details are best left to be explained in person! Back in the hostel we made ourselves at home on the roof and I dug into some surprisingly good Chinese wine and took part in the craziest table quiz, during which we met Tom the young German and two Irish people - I know in the middle of China what are the chances! The following day we set our to the taracotta warriors which are about 30km outside Xi'an. A lot more has been uncovered since I was last there in February 2001 but they are still as amazing as the first time I saw them. I was disappointed to see that the old market surrounding the site had been done up into proper organised shops but I guess somethings are inevitable. Back in Xi'an a disappointment of no vegetarian dumplings lead Anna and I to experience Pizza Hut Chinese style and aside from a confusion with the sizes the pizza and wine were good. A few hours on bar street and the excitement of the first few days caught up on me which lead me home and caused me to miss the fist trip to KTV (karaoke TV) but not to worry I would make up for this later in the trip.


yummy dumplings


Those amazing 'old' boys :-)

Our final day in Xi'an and we set off for the city's old wall, which had been in disrepair when I was there in 2000/2001 but now it was complete and a trip included a performance by a group of very tall very handsome Chinese soldiers from the time of the emperors :-) The best was yet to come with the an hour cycle around the wall seeing the extend of the old city as it was in the time of old. Three tuctucs took us to the train station to catch the overnight train back to Beijing and to the wonderful 3 day wedding that awaited - details will follow shortly.


Performance from times past


Cycling on the old wall


Well earned break in a Tea Emporium after all the cycling

No comments: