Monday, February 02, 2009

Now an MSc...


Pauline and I with me in the full outfit...


my mum and I before the ceremony


That is me running off the stage...


Newly graduated chicas...


Mary-Beth, Ines and I


Thea and I almost at the end of the party...

On Friday the 30th of January Siobhán went back to Brighton to pick up a piece of paper which made the MSc in Cross Cultural Research Methods (Migration Studies) official. The ceremonial aspect of the day was great fun filled with flowing gowns and lots of exceptional hats.
I arrived in Brighton with my mum and my aunty Pauline after a journey from Sydenham which began at 6.45am. Once in the Brighton Dome I was gowned and fitted with a hat, while we waited for the ceremonies to begin. It was lots of head spinning moments as my name was called from all corners and turning it met with familiar faces and names. We were then lead into the grand hall and the MSc crew, of which there were nine of us were there, were seated in the very front row. This gave us front row seats to the horn instrument orchestra and a great view of the stage. One by one the respective schools called out their postgraduates and lines of people went up to collect their sheets of paper. I sat their analysing each of them deciding what they were doing wrong and what I would do differently when it was my turn to walk out on stage. At last after two and a half hours and various speeches my line were called up to go backstage and get ourselves ready for the walk. And after all my analysis I managed to do it all wrong - I ran our on stage, I kept my head down and got off of there as quickly as I could - I guess it is hard when the spotlight is on you!
The ceremony was followed by a drinks reception were we were congratulated and continued the reunions. My mum, Pauline, Hannah and her parents headed to the George vegetarian pub for a wonderful meal and a good pint of Guinness. The chat was great and the mood light. After lunch my mum and Pauline headed back to london, and Hannah and her parents to meet Steve. Most headed off for a nap, but Emma and I kept the front up and continued with the drinking. We eventually wandered back to find our sea front hotel and Mary-Beth. After a restful cup of cha we headed out to Latin in the Lanes for a fabulous dinner and great chat, before heading to the Fiddlers Elbow to catch up with some of the rest of the crew. It was a long day and I had to retire at one and rest my weary head.
It was wonderful to catch up with the peeps and go through a sense of closure of my time at the University of Sussex. The MSc was a wonderful experience, but the most important part was the wonderful friends I made and I won't be forgetting that soon!

1 comment:

linda said...

cool outfit! congratulations!!! kram!