Sunday, January 11, 2009

The tall people reunion in Abu Dhabi


And of course we needed the IKEA sign - in Arabic this time...


The beautiful sight of the wee one doing housework


The grand Sheikh Zayed Mosque at dusk


Linda and I in the grounds of the mosque


A view of the mosque for those with a darker imagination


We all dig into a Sudanese speciality 'foul madamas' with white cheese 'jibna'


Linda tucks into amazing Sudanese food...

We did it last year and why break a great tradition! So once again Abu Dhabi was the location for the reunion of the McPhee sisters and Ms. Linda; although our time together was much shorter this time as the wee one and I had a trip to Lebanon and Linda is a very important person in Bangladesh!
I think Linda's arrival in the UAE deserves a special mention! She choose to fly Air Arabia (see her blog for further details) and was delayed 12 hours. Dara and I had agreed to pick her up at Mall of the Emirates as Sharjah airport is midst an obstacle course of construction. Now for the best bit: Linda taxi driver to the mall was firstly a woman (impressive for UAE) and secondly a Bangladeshi - brilliant!!!
So the days were filled with lots of eating, shopping and chilling. We had a tamer New Years eve this year - we headed up to Dubai to a friend's restaurant where we ate too much! Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai for reasons only known to him cancelled New Years so the usual music and dancing had to be replaced with shisha and good conversation. I drove back at 3.30am in a fog so thick that I could only see 3 metres in front of me, but we made it.
It was such a lovely catch up and who knows maybe we will do it again next year? Lebanon?

1 comment:

linda said...

i miss you. i miss the food. it was too much fun available as always. so disapointed i will miss the next reunion....