Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Allotment -- a little piece of heaven


My house mate and co-allotmenter Emily taking a rest at the allotment


The asparagus bed - they grow overnight I promise!!


View across the allotment


The view from the top across the allotments to Brighton and the sea.

I have thought about this entry for a week but failed to do anything about it, which isn't surprising these days when I find I have to remind myself to eat! So unlike me I know, but who knew that there would come a day when Siobhán would undertake a task that completely absorbed her a PhD!
Anyways, I am a part member of a very pretty allotment on one of the many hills of Brighton. It was passed down to me by my former house-mate before he moved to the Netherlands. Now it is planting and weeding season, but we have already eaten some of our own grown asparagus and rhubarb - delicious! Last week I had had a very busy and frustrating day, and didn't feel like doing anything. Emily suggested that we go up to the allotment after work and do some watering. Once up there I realised just how wonderful it is up there. The sun was shinning and I could see all the way across Brighton to the sea.
Sometimes its the simplest things that make the most difference.

No comments: