
Maha and I preparing dinner - a long way from our days of causing war in their yard!

Maha, Hibat and I in the yard of Abdel Sattar School

Hualle, Maha and I after cooking a delicious Sudanese dinner
On Saturday we went to visit Laila Mukhasfi who was one of my mum's closest friends when we lived there. Once again it was like meeting a lost part of my family. Duaa, her eldest daughter is now studying dentistry - she was 7 when we left! Leila now has two other daughters, Alaa and Samaa whom I had never meet.

Leila, her sister and daughters
Sunday and Monday, back in Khartoum I was to be given the best gift of all - tracking down my old friends from school. You must remember that when we left Sudan in 1991 and even when we visited in 1994, there were no mobile phones and email was not even a notion. Not finding my friends in Medani was heartbreaking, but we were given a number for Hajir's father - who was one of Dara's closest friends in school. I called Hajir on the road back from Khartoum and then came the disbelief and joy; we had to meet that night of course. I spent the night chatting with Hajir and her family, and we even phoned Dara! The best part was when it turned out that Hajir's brother Khalid was good friends with my friend Lena's brother Mohammed. I got her number and could not believe that she was in fact working in Khartoum as a doctor - we were to meet the next day!

Hajir, Shaza and their mum and dad

Hajir and Intisar - Dara's partners in crime from school
Lena was my best friend from day one in primary school. I knew how to say 'hello' and 'I am hungry' in Arabic and a few other words but not much at all. But from the moment the teacher sat me down beside her in grade 1, we didn't even need to be able to speak to each other, we were inseparable. I have so many memories running around their house, cooking very bad food for Lena and Dara in our house, and the sad time of sitting on her bed when we were 8, holding her hand the day her father died. I was shaking with emotion as Hajir and I walked up to the hospital, and just wanted to burst into tears when I saw her. Nothing had changed, we may be 29 but it is like I left yesterday! The coincidences were amazing of what we like, what we had done and were we are in our lives today – I guess we were such a big part of each others lives for so long.
The last days in Khartoum were fabulous. I hung out with Lena, Hajir, Intisar and her daughter Lena, Mubarak and Ahmed. We ate, chatted and sat by the Nile drinking coffee. I kept pinching myself to make sure that it was real. It can't be so long till next time, I realise that now; Sudan is just too much a part of my soul! But I left carrying mobile numbers, emails and lots of promises, so at least this time it is not a complete separation.

Sitting by the Nile with Lena, Hajir, Intisar, little Lena, Ahmed and Mubarak

Lena and I enjoying the coolness beside the Nile
4 comments:
i'm reading this with a tear in my eye shoe!
Agree, such beautiful entry. And the telecom part of me of course finds it especially touching how modern technologies can help people stay in touch with their friends!
i´m reading it with a tear in my shoe
i´m reading this with a tear in my shoe
Post a Comment