Last Friday, my mum, Sandra her colleague from the University, Sandra's husband Mario and daughter Natalia and I went to the Global Village in Dubai. It is part of the shopping festival which takes place in Dubai every year, and brings together in one location crafts and goods from all corners of the globe. In the past the village was located right in the central area of Dubai and was a nightmare to get to, but now it is on the outskirts of the city right in the middle of the desert. This made it easy to get to, but also a little chilly once the sun went down. My mum and I went a little crazy in all the different countries chatting to the stall owners, admiring their merchandise and of course buying our fair share of goodies. I am not going to go into the details of all we bought, rather I just wanted to share with you a few interesting items I noted at the global village..
The first is that the United Arab Emirates has decided that Turkey is in fact a member of Europe. The European enclosure included no other country, and I was intrigued that the UAE has managed to bypass all the issues surrounding the entry of Turkey and at least from a commercial point of view added Turkey to Europe.

Rwanada is a country which has suffered a great deal in the world's recent history, and with the current frightening situation in Pakistan and Kenya on the brink of disaster, it was a small ray of light to see a country return from the what was a dark place. I know it is a small step to have a few stalls at a commercial venture in Dubai, but it is a start.

No comments:
Post a Comment