Monday, February 19, 2007

28 years of travelling the planet
















No this is not a tribute to myself! This is a reflection on the very interesting 27th year of my life, which as of today is no more. Second birthday in Dhaka, which I must say this time last year was unexpected; however, it has been an interesting year and I can't say I would have rather spent it anywhere else.
Some people take New Year's eve as a time of reflection, I seem to do this around this day every year. I always wonder where I will be the following year and what is in store for me. It is the year of the golden pig according to the Chinese Calendar, a lucky year it seems where already the birth rate in China is expected to triple.
I will leave this fair country in June and head either to Dublin or Sussex to start my PhD. That I think will be my biggest achievement for 28 - just getting there in itself is an achievement and a tribute to the people who believed in me along the way.
So I have/will spend today in the best way I can imagine in Dhaka - eating good food and being with my favourite people in this bustling town.
At this time of year I also tend to reflect on the people who I would love to have around me, but because of the life we all choose is not possible; maybe next year. One of these people is my wee sis. I have noticed a certain lack of commenting on my blog as of late and so I thought I would give you all a reason to comment and give you a little taste of what my and the once shorter than me Dara, looked like all those years ago. Enjoy and please comment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

my word, someone needs to prop me up at the top.
doped and out of it even as a wee one!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks shoe
very sweet!

linda said...

shoe and 'd, you used to look too much cute. now you are too much hot!

anna said...

oh, it was indeed a good day yesterday. mushroom soup, salmon [sa'mon], cheeeeeesssseeee and other goodies at Sheraton and then phuchka coming out of our ears. To top this up a WONDERFUL heart shaped cake - with candles! I am waiting for that picture to pop up soon. I hope I can be with you for your 29th b-day as well, for another Sheraton lunch with Louise as second chief guest...

Anonymous said...

Like a seashell on the shore
Washed on land by waves of fortune
Like a little phutchka store
In the middle of a sanddune
Siobhán, you are like this
Hidden treasure unexpected
Hereby comes a birthday kiss
Specially for you selected

Unknown said...

adorable photos?
phuchka?!
poems from HC?

too much too much available!

i love the photos. love them! my friend just posted all these photos of her family and some with me in it from the same era (early 1980s) and i've been loving the visual nostalgia.

Anonymous said...

Why do not I get invited to coktail parties like that! love from Ethel's people...